The Black Shed was built back in 1910 by the Birmingham navigation company for a local flour mill to store grain coming in from Sharpness docks. The mill paid £250 to have it built and paid £12 a year ground rent after its completion.
In November 1915 the war office requisitioned The Black Shed, its land and the surrounding area. The Black Shed and the adjoining wharf were then reinforced in order to store equipment.
The Shed was used by the government until 1917, when it was handed back to the flour mill owners and used for its original purpose for many years until it was no longer needed.
In the mid 60's The Black Shed was brought back to life and has since been used for a variety of ventures, including a camping and outdoor sports shop. Sadly, during those years The Black Shed gradually fell into disrepair and was finally closed in 2014.
The current owners took on The Black Shed in 2017, carrying out extensive works to bring it out of disrepair, culminating with the café as it is now — a hub of exciting community-based activities.
Meet The Team
Let us introduce you to everyone here at The Black Shed...
We are currently looking for the following new team members...